13/09/2013
Share this story Share on Facebook icon Share on Twitter icon Share on Pinterest icon Share on Google Plus icon Share on Linked In icon Share via Email icon

UK's first National Mining Memorial Centre opened at National Mining Museum Scotland

46efe407-59a5-4e23-9247-0993e223ed64
The UK's first single central facility for understanding and commemorating the mining industry has opened at the National Mining Museum Scotland. Scotland's coalfield communities now have a new place to remember the victims of their dangerous industry in a new space which will allow people to join remembrance ceremonies or stage their own private remembrances.

The new centre was opened by Midlothian MP (and former miner) David Hamilton on 7 September 2013, the anniversary of the  Knockshinnoch Castle Colliery disaster, one of the most significant in Scottish mining history.  On that day in 1950, an inrush of moss and peat trapped 129 mean underground for several days while rescue teams worked desperately to reach them.  Although 116 men were eventually rescued, using breathing equipment, 13 men were lost. 



Museum Director, Rowan Brown said: 'The Friends, staff and volunteers at National Mining Museum Scotland have long held aspirations to create a facility that commemorated an industry which changed our culture, landscape, and economy at immense personal cost.

'We owe a huge debt to our funders, without whose generous support, the project could not have been realised. It is with great pride that we open the National Memorial Centre today, a resource dedicated to serving our mining communities, past, present and future.'

Senior Architect, Scott Lindsay from Purcell, who carried out the work on the museum, said: 'The new Memorial Centre is a fitting tribute to Scotland’s mining past and has reinstated a category A listed washer building that has stood empty for 30 years

'Our design complements the industrial character of this brick building, creating new displats and archive areas which explore the dangers faced by miners, leading up to a tall reflective space in the roof.'

The Mining Memorial Centre project has been funded by The Association of Independent Museums, BIFFA National Heritage Landmarks Scheme, The Mining Institute of Scotland, The Mining Institute of Scotland Trust, The Scottish Coal Industry Special Welfare Fund and the Friends of National Mining Museum Scotland.

It will span three floors of the old washer building in the museum’s home at the former Lady Victoria Colliery, revitalising space that has lain derelict since the Lady Vic closed in 1981.

The National Mining Memorial Centre will be open from 10am until 5pm (4pm in winter), seven days a week.

National Mining Museum Scotland, Lady Victoria Colliery, Newtongrange, Dalkeith EH22 4QN; tel: 0131 663 7519. Visit the National Mining Museum Scotland website.

Keep up to date with the latest history news, discoveries and research in every issue of History Scotland and Scottish Memories magazines, available in print and digital versions.

 

Back to "Family History" Category

13/09/2013 Share this story   Share on Facebook icon Share on Twitter icon Share on Pinterest icon Share on Google Plus icon Share on Linked In icon Share via Email icon

Recent Updates

Outlaw James Macpherson was hanged at Banff - On this day in Scottish history

Outlaw James Macpherson was hanged at Banff on 16 November 1700 for cattle and sheep stealing.


National Museums Scotland reveals its exhibitions programme for 2019

Exhibitions exploring romantic visions of Scotland, robots and conscientious objectors are among the ...


The story of the Jacobite steam service on the West Highland Line

A history of one of the Great Railway Journeys of the World – the Jacobite line between Mallaig and Fort ...


Fight for the Castle - brand new permanent exhibition opens at Edinburgh Castle

A fourteen-foot-high sculptural siege engine forms the centrepiece of Fight for the Castle, a new exhibition ...


Other Articles

Walk in the footsteps of Mary Queen of Scots - history travel trail

In our latest guest blog, to mark the release of the film Mary Queen of Scots, Anne Daly of Mary's Meanders ...


James Bruce claimed to have discovered the source of the Nile - On this day in history

On 14 November 1770, Scottish explorer James Bruce claimed to have discovered the source of the Nile in ...


2019 dig dates announced for Swandro Dig on Rousay - archaeology volunteers welcome

Applications are now open to volunteer for the 2019 Swandro Dig on the island of Rousay, which will take ...


On this day in history - Author Robert Louis Stevenson was born

Robert Louis Stevenson, author of Treasure Island and The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde was born on ...