Edinburgh World Heritage to help fund repairs to Canongate's Bible Lane
The building was created in 1677 for the Canongate Incorporation of Cordiners (shoemakers) whose symbol of a curved leather-cutting knife is included on the building's plaque. A repayable grant of £97,000 from Edinburgh World Heritage will enable vital repairs to be carried out on the building including re-pointing with lime mortar, stonework repairs, window renovation, gutter and downpipe repairs and repainting the rear elevation.
The work is expected to be completed in December 2015 and will be the first major repair work to Bible Lane since the 1950s, when this area of the Canongate was extensively restored in a project by architect Robert Hurd.
To find out more about the work of Edinburgh World Heritage, visit their website.
(Image copyright Kim Traynor)