Jacobite Library of the 1745 Association moved to Callendar House
A library of Jacobite books and journals has this week been moved to the Library at Callendar House, Falkirk, the 1745 Association has announced. The Association is a non-political organisation which aims to promote the study of the Jacobite period and safeguard Jacobite heritage.
The Jacobite Library comprises the only complete known series of the 1745 Association's journal, The Jacobite, dating back to 1954; and a complete series of The Fifteen, the journal of the Northumbrian Jacobite society, between 2001 and 2017; as well as a collection of books about the Jacobite era, the core of which were left to the Association in a legacy by the late Maurice Bonnar.
A spokesman for the Association told History Scotland that they are hoping to add to these in due course, so that it becomes a 'one-stop shop' for all those seeking to research the Jacobite era.
The Callendar House Library
Callendar House is a mansion set within the grounds of Callendar Park in Falkirk, and its library has strong Jacobite links and is situated next to the Green Room, which is where it is believed Prince Charles Edward Stuart dined with the Earl of Kilmarnock during his march southwards on September 14 1745.
In addition, the Hanoverian General Henry Hawley slept at Callendar House the night before the Battle of Falkirk Muir on January 17 1746, and it was his headquarters during the battle. In the days afterwards it was used as a holding pen for Hanoverian prisoners.
The Jacobite Library will be officially opened later in 2018, and we will post updates on the History Scotland website as they become available.
Callendar House, Callendar Road, Falkirk FK1 1YR; website.
For more on the 1745 Association, visit their website.
(image copyright John Lord)