Child star Lena Zavaroni was born - On this day in Scottish history
Child star Lena Zavaroni was born on 4 November 1963 in Greenock. Zavaroni was a child singer who is the youngest singer to have appeared on Top of the Pops and to have a top ten UK album.
Zavaroni spent her childhood in the town of Rothesay, where she sang from the age of two, performing alongside her mother and father who sang and played the guitar. She was talent spotted at the age of ten by music producer Tommy Scott, whilst singing with her father.
The following year, Zavaroni appeared on Opportunity Knocks and released the album Ma! (He's Making Eyes at Me). The album reached number eight in the UK charts.
Zavaroni suffered from anorexia nervosa from the age of thirteen and died at the age of 35 from a chest infection contracted after an operation.
Lena Zavaroni timeline
- 4 November 1963 - Lena Zavaroni born in Greenock
- 1973 - Discovered by music producer Tommy Scott
- 1974 - Appears on Opportunity Knocks
- 1976 - Performs at the White House
- 1989 - Marries Peter Wiltshire
- 1 October 1999 - Lena Zavaroni dies of a chest infection following an operation