Second World War hangars to reopen following £3.6 million restoration
The nationally significant Second World War hangars at the East Lothian attraction will re-open on 25 March, 2016. Built in 1940-41, they are part of the East Fortune Airfield Scheduled Monument and are imposing features at the former wartime airfield. On completion of their restoration, the hangars will house an array of world-class military and commercial aircraft presented through interactives and film programmes. The stories of those who piloted or flew in the aircraft will also be told through displays featuring uniforms, documents and photographs.
One hangar will display military aircraft, including an English Electric Lightning, the RAF’s first supersonic jet fighter, which could match the speed of Concorde, and the other will display smaller commercial and leisure aircraft dating from 1969 onwards including a Britten Norman Islander and a Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer. The hangars will be insulated and heated for the first time using an environmentally friendly ground-source heating system.
National Museum of Flight, East Fortune Airfield, East Lothian EH39 5LF; tel: 0300 123 6789; website.
(Images courtesy of Paul Dodds)