24/07/2018
Share this story Share on Facebook icon Share on Twitter icon Share on Pinterest icon Share on Google Plus icon Share on Linked In icon Share via Email icon

Iron Age anvil reveals the hand of a Pictish copper smith - Scottish archaeology news

9dae9b0c-ea1e-4feb-9d8a-86b12721b909

Archaeological excavations on the Orkney Island of Rousay have revealed the 'unparalleled remains' of a Pictish smith’s workshop, complete with the carbon imprints of a copper smith's hands and knees.

The small cellular building discovered by archaeologists on Rousay dates to a period between the 6th to 9th century AD and was semi-subterranean. It was entered via steps and a curved corridor, which would have minimised the amount of light entering the smithy, allowing the smith to assess the temperature of the hot metal based on its colour.

Join the History Scotland community  
Follow us on facebook
Follow us on twitter
Sign up for our free e-newsletter

Discover History Scotland magazine

A door would have separated the workshop from the corridor. Many of the stone fittings - the pivot stone, door jamb and bar hole - remained intact. The centre was dominated by the hearth, with a set upright stone on the doorward side protecting the hearth fire from drafts.

The findings

Dr Stephen Dockrill (University of Bradford) explains the findings: “Work by archaeometallurgist Dr Gerry McDonnell, including analysis of crucible fragments and the floor deposits, has demonstrated that a copper smith worked in the building. The analysis of the floor enables us to say with confidence where the smith worked, next to a hearth and two stone anvils. The biggest surprise came when we lifted the larger stone anvil and cleaned it; we could see carbon imprints of the smith’s knees and hands.”

The Pictish workshop is part of an excavation project directed by Dr Julie Bond and Dr Stephen Dockrill (both of the University of Bradford). The building is part of a substantial Iron Age settlement which is being destroyed by the sea. Work this year has centred on the Pictish workshop and a Neolithic Chambered Cairn which is also being eroded.

The project is funded by the Swandro Orkney Coastal Archaeology Trust, Historic Environment Scotland, National Lottery, University of Bradford, Orkney Islands Council, Rousay Development Trust and the Orkney Archaeological Society.

Follow the progress of the excavation on Swandro's website.

Images copyright S J Dockrill

Back to "Scottish archaeology" Category

24/07/2018 Share this story   Share on Facebook icon Share on Twitter icon Share on Pinterest icon Share on Google Plus icon Share on Linked In icon Share via Email icon

Recent Updates

The QE2 passenger liner was launched - On this day in history

The QE2 passenger liner was launched on 20 September 1967. ...


Clan Carruthers has a chief confirmed by the Lord Lyon after 210 years

Clan Carruthers Society-International (CCSI) has announced that after a gap of 201 years, Clan Carruthers has ...


Painter William Dyce was born - On this day in history

Scottish painter William Dyce was born on 19 September 1806.


Historian Gilbert Burnet was born - On this day in history

Scottish historian Gilbert Burnet was born on 18 September 1643.


Other Articles

Precious David Linvingstone tableaux painstakingly restored as part of a £6.1M heritage project

A group of precious polychromatic plaster tableaux depicting David Livingstone's historic journey to Africa ...


David Dunbar Buick was born - On this day in history

Scottish inventor David Dunbar Buick was born on 17 September 1854.


On this day in Scottish history - King James VII of Scotland died

King James VII of Scotland died on 16 September 1701. ...


The Hector emigrant ship left Loch Broom bound for Canada

The Hector emigrant ship left Loch Broom bound for Canada on 15 September 1773.