Doune Castle, Glasgow Cathedral and Edinburgh Castle among sites to benefit from investment plan
Historic sites across Scotland are set to benefit from an investment of £12 million for 2018-2019 as part of Historic Environment Scotland's (HES) investment plan.
Overall, 20 sites across HES's estate are earmarked as priority for investment under the plan. Projects planned as part of the new investment plan include:
- Ongoing enhancement to facilities and amenities at Edinburgh Castle
- Repair work on the main spire at Glasgow Cathedral
- An augmented reality app for Caerlavarock Castle allowing visitors to collect historical animations related to the castle and its adjacent nature trail
- An introductory exhibition and new external lighting at Doune Castle, which featured as Castle Leoch in the TV series Outlander
- Digitisation of the photography collection from the former Countryside Commission for Scotland of Rural Buildings from the 1970s - a collection never before available to the public
Download the investment plan.
(images, Doune Castle copyright godot13; Dumbarton Castle copyright Paul Farmer)