05 December 2022
This December, visitors to the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh will see the State Apartments transformed with Christmas trees, garlands, and a magnificent table display to celebrate the festive season.
Highlights of Christmas at the Palace of Holyroodhouse include:
- Magnificently decorated Christmas trees in the Throne Room and the Great Gallery.
- Twinkling velvet garlands, glistening berries and seasonal foliage adorning the Great Stair
- A table display in the Royal Dining Room, laid with piece from a silver service presented to King George V and Queen Mary in 1935 to mark their Silver Jubilee, and decorated with ivy, candelabra and spires of faux candied sugared fruits.
- Family activities on 17, 22 and 23 December, including short talks and festive arts and crafts activities, giving children the chance to design their own greeting cards and Christmas crackers.
- A carol concert on the evening of 11 December, with members of the Robin Chapel Choir performing beneath the Great Gallery Christmas tree. Visitors will have chance to explore the Christmas decorations in the State Apartments and enjoy a glass of wine and mince pies.
- Exclusive Christmas Evening Tours on dates throughout December, offering a private, behind-the-ropes tour of the State Apartments with an expert guide, once the Palace doors have closed to visitors for the day.
- An online evening lecture on 6 December, which will see Royal Collection Trust curators delving into the history of royal Christmas traditions and will include an exploration of rarely seen royal Christmas cards and journal entries.
Visitors will see twinkling wreaths and garlands throughout the Palace’s State Apartments, including in the King’s Ante-Chamber and on the Grand Stair (left)
Content continues after advertisements
Christmas at the Palace of Holyroodhouse is from 1 December 2022 to 2 January 2023. The Palace of Holyroodhouse is open to the public five days a week, Thursday to Monday, remaining closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Tickets: Royal Collection Trust, +44 (0)303 123 7306.
Images Royal Collection Trust / © His Majesty King Charles III 2022