27 January 2021
The Glasgow Herald newspaper was published for the first time on 27 January 1783. ...
The Glasgow Herald, one of the oldest continuously published daily newspapers in the world, was first published on 27 January 1783. The paper was originally named the Glasgow Advertiser, and after a short spell asThe Herald and Advertiser and Commercial Chronicle, became The Glasgow Herald in 1804.
The paper's first editor John Mennons worked from offices at Duncan's Land on Gibson's Wynd, with the company moving to 'The Lighthouse' in Mitchell Street in 1895, a building created by architect John Keppie, who apprenticed the young Charles Rennie Mackintosh.The paper became known simply as The Herald in 1992.