03 September 2020
This October, History Scotland marks the 300th anniversary of the birth of Prince Charles Edward Stuart (Bonnie Prince Charlie) with a special themed edition of History Scotland magazine.
The Jacobite movement has produced some of the most familiar events and personalities in Scottish History. Images of Bonnie Prince Charlie and Flora MacDonald are mainstays of Scottish iconography, and from Robert Burns to Outlander, Jacobitism infuses popular culture.
But who were the real Jacobites? What did they believe in? What did they fight for, and how did they go about it? And what, ultimately, happened to them? Find out in a brand new publication from History Scotland.
Latest Jacobite research
This special themed issue will focus on the Jacobites and their legacy, with expert analysis and new research from some of Scotland’s foremost historians and thinkers.
· Jacobite intelligence operations by Professor Daniel Szechi
· Episcopalians and Jacobites by Dr Kieran German
· Who were the women that funded and supported the cause? by Dr Anita Gillespie
· The first Jacobites: James VII and Scotland by Dr Alastair Mann
· The Jacobite Database of 1745: exploring the lives of everyday people involved with the cause by Dr Darren Scott Layne