29/11/2017 Share this story Share on Facebook icon Share on Twitter icon Share on Pinterest icon Share on Google Plus icon Share on Linked In icon Share via Email icon

University of Edinburgh's Old Medical School Courtyard to be re-named in honour of Dr Elsie Inglis

366b5306-46c0-4deb-a95e-9914f3e85dc7

A medical pioneer who saved countless soldiers’ lives has been honoured by her former university 100 years after her death.

The University of Edinburgh’s Old Medical School courtyard is to be renamed in memory of the trailblazing doctor Elsie Inglis, who was one of Edinburgh’s first women graduates.

The announcement was made by the University’s Chancellor, Her Royal Highness the Princess Royal, during a visit to Edinburgh today (Wednesday 29 November). A plaque highlighting the square’s revised name – the Dr Elsie Inglis Quadrangle – has been unveiled. 

The heroism of Dr Inglis

Dr Elsie Inglis is credited with saving thousands of lives after founding 17 Scottish Women's Hospitals across Europe during the First World War. She also established a medical college for women and a maternity hospital for poor mothers in Edinburgh.

The Edinburgh-raised doctor and suffragette died in November 1917 after returning to Britain from Russia where she had been treating wounded Serbian and Russian soldiers. 

After her death, Sir Winston Churchill was quoted as saying that Dr Inglis and her medical staff “will shine in history”.

A remarkable achievement

University of Edinburgh Principal, Professor Sir Timothy O’Shea, has welcomed the news: “I am very pleased to be marking the centenary of the death of one of our most inspirational alumni. Naming our historic quadrangle after Dr Inglis is a fitting reminder of her remarkable achievements and lasting legacy.”

(image copyright The Wellcome Collection)

Back to News

29/11/2017 Share this story Share on Facebook icon Share on Twitter icon Share on Pinterest icon Share on Google Plus icon Share on Linked In icon Share via Email icon

Recent Updates

Nuclear bunker at Cabrach, Moray, to open to the public for one day only

Members of the public will be given access to a nuclear monitoring post for the first time since the end of ...


Canals and Factories by L.S. Lowry on display at Duff House

A much-loved painting by the English artist L.S. Lowry is on display at Duff House in Banff, Aberdeenshire. ...


Mary Queen of Scots returns to Leith for Heritage Awareness Day 2018

The 457th anniversary of Mary Queen of Scots returning from France to Leith will form part of the ...


Leif Erikson bust unveiled on the Isle of Lewis

Connections between Icelandic explorer Leif Erikson, the first recorded European to reach North America, and ...


Other News

Mackintosh's Tea Rooms - new BBC Two Scotland documentary

A new hour-long documentary tells the story of Glasgow businessman Celia Sinclair, who rescued the Old Willow ...


Charter, Church, Conflict and Community: Haddington 1318-2018

A one-day conference by Haddington’s History Society and E.L. Antiquarian and Field Naturalists’ Society - 15 ...


Glencoe Visitor Centre to close for £1M improvements

Visitors to Glencoe will experience a 'transformed' visitor centre if plans submitted to the Highland Council ...


See the first ever edition of The Beano comic at National Library of Scotland

The first ever edition of the Beano, published in 1938, will be on display at National Library of Scotland on ...